Primarily, religion/spirituality provides protection. According to research the following findings are reproduced consistently over time. A belief in God provides the following to children/adolescence:
- helps kids stay away from drugs, sexual activity, smoking
- gives moral guidance
- gives them feelings of mental and psychological security
- helps them set boundaries and stay out of trouble
- helps kids feel better about their bodies and physical appearances
- helps girls delay the onset of sexual activity
From Soul Searching: The Religious and Spiritual Lives of American Teenagers
Armed with that information, and added to our personal beliefs, we will continue to carve out time on Sunday mornings to build and strengthen our Family Spiritual Foundation. I can rely on our church community to continue to provide support and fellowship – and understanding should my son drop the collectiton plate all over the alter this Sunday!
Now, I pray for Divine Intervention in granting me the ability to fit 2 hours worth of “duties” into 45 minutes, when the kids need to be picked up!